home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 26 / Cream of the Crop 26.iso / bbs / rokv203.zip / UPGRADE.DOC < prev    next >
Text File  |  1997-06-15  |  4KB  |  82 lines

1. ┌─────────────────────────────────────┐
  2. │ ROK - Upgrading to v2.0x Procedures │
  3. └─────────────────────────────────────┘
  5.    ** ROK v2.03 - EGO Developers - see STRUCTS.PAS for new ROK v2.03 Info! **
  7.           ** See README.NOW before installing this version of ROK! **
  9.    -=*=-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
  11.         [1] ** If upgrading from 1.x to 2.00: **
  13.         We at BFS recommend a fresh install of this new version of ROK.
  15.         We also realize that resetting your current ROK game might be damaging
  16.         to the users in that they might lose interest in the game.  However,
  17.         since this new version of ROK is a 98% total re-write of the original
  18.         game, this is almost a completely new game to them.  Thus, a reset will
  19.         not be THAT bad...  Believe me, the players will thank you in the long
  20.         run.
  22.    -=*=-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
  24.         [2] ** If upgrading from 2.00 to 2.01: **
  26.         Okay, follow these steps to upgrade to this version.
  28.            1. Unarchive the contents of this archive over your old ones.
  29.               (which basically means copy the new exe's/ovr's over the old)
  30.            2. Delete your ROK.DAT file.
  31.            3. Run CONFIG.EXE, then hit [I]nstall.
  32.            4. That's it!  If you have any problems, feel free to contact us.
  34.         Now, we know that [I]nstall'ing again will delete the King data.  Thus,
  35.         there will be no King/Queen in the game - temporarily.  The next *NEW*
  36.         character in the game will automatically be coronated as King.  I felt
  37.         I should mention this here before I get like 50 e-mails about this. :-)
  39.    -=*=-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
  41.         [3] ** If upgrading from 2.01 to 2.02: **
  43.         This is pretty simple.
  45.            1. Copy ROK.EXE, ROK.OVR, CONFIG.EXE, SCREENS.DAT, NOW_OFF.EXE,
  46.               and ROKMAINT.EXE over your old v2.01 executables.
  47.            2. That's it!  Like I said, simple. :-)
  49.         This upgrade is really a copy-over upgrade.
  51.    -=*=-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
  53.         [4] ** If upgrading from 2.02 to 2.03: **
  55.         We apologize, but a reset is necessary when upgrading to ROK v2.03.
  57.         ROK v2.02's ROKMAINT.EXE corrupted the PLAYER.DAT and ROK.DAT files
  58.         on many systems around the planet.  There is no way for us to create
  59.         a program to restore corrupted files - and thus, a reset is necessary.
  61.         With the fixed ROKMAINT.EXE in this archive, and the new optimized
  62.         PLAYER.DAT file routines, a corrupted PLAYER.DAT/ROK.DAT file should
  63.         never happen again - ever.  Basically, what we're trying to stress is
  64.         this reset should be the last one ever, even in upcoming releases.
  66.         We know, resets are a pain in the rear, and they kill user interest,
  67.         but sometimes they are necessary, as in this case.  Since ROK v2.03
  68.         is a major upgrade from v2.02, the reset won't be a total loss - there
  69.         are tones of new options and features in this version that make it
  70.         worth the upgrade and reset.
  72.         Again - sorry for making you reset when upgrading to this version.
  74.    -=*=-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
  76.         If you have any problems whatsoever with upgrading and/or ROK in
  77.         general, contact BFS any time.   A list of ways to contact us is
  78.         given in the CONTACT.DOC file, included in this archive.
  80.         Thank you for running ROK on your system!
  81.                                                                -The BFS Guys-